Sustainable, Creative, Beautiful
We hand-make sculptural shelters, seating and structures for parks, schools, hospitals and city centres as well as for private gardens. As well as working to commission we have a product range, which has developed over the 15 years of our practice. UK sourced FSC Oak and Douglas Fir are our main materials, jointed through time honoured traditional methods as well as more modern techniques using steel plates and fixings. We have also developed a speciality in steam bending and laminating oak strips to make curvy-organic timber structures.
Handspring is our attempt to run a creative, practical and craft based enterprise following the principles of sustainability.
For us this means:
- Primarily using renewable materials, we mainly use UK FSC sourced Oak and Douglas Fir
- Minimizing the use of concrete and other none renewables and using steel judiciously
- Reusing materials as much as possible and recycling what we can’t reuse.
- Using local labour, skills and suppliers
- Supporting and encouraging skill development and education through live projects, apprenticeships and school/university student work placements
- Cycling and using public transport. – we have bought all employees bikes.
- Using waste timber to heat our workshop and our homes
- Engaging with and supporting community projects
- Making the wider environment a more interesting place
- Having fun and loving what we do.
We have been at this since 2001 and have been fortunate enough to work all over the UK from Edinburgh to Southampton, as well as a few forays into Europe.
Here are the people who make Handspring Design work
RALPH, GRAEME, SCOT, ALICE, full time in the workshop, plus additional skilled crafts people when we are busy, as well as Joe and Emma on computer design, Wayne and Steve on steel fabrication and Chris our Telehandler driver.
Ecclesall Woods Sawmill, Sheffield